American Goulash is an easy, one-pot, classic comfort food made with ground beef, tomatoes, and macaroni noodles. Enjoy year-round, and delicious leftover, this irresistible Goulash Recipe is guaranteed to win over even the pickiest eaters!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion – minced
- 1 green bell pepper – seeded and diced
- 8 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika – (optional)
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce – (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounces) cans of tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounces) cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth – (or 2 cups water)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni – uncooked
- 2 cups cheddar cheese – shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until starting to soften and turn translucent. Add the bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the salt, pepper, and paprika to the mirepoix. Mix well.
- Add the ground beef to the pot. Use a wooden spatula to break apart the ground meat into small crumbles. Stir frequently and continue to cook until meat is browned.
- Add the Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Mix well to combine. Stir in the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add the bay leaves, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Stir in the broth and elbow macaroni, cover, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until noodles are cooked to al dente. Stir every couple of minutes to prevent the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired. Enjoy!