- 1 large ripe heirloom tomato (at least 14 ounces), stemmed and cored
- 8 slices of soft white sandwich bread
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s or Blue Plate (may substitute a vegan brand such as Just Mayo), divided
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
Use a serrated knife to cut the tomato into 1/2-inch slices. Spread one side of each bread slice with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Lay a tomato slice on the mayo side of four bread slices. Sprinkle each with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a little pepper. Cover with the mayo side of the remaining four bread slices. Cut each sandwich in half, if desired, and eat immediately.
Per serving (1 sandwich)
Calories: 318; Total Fat: 20 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 780 mg; Carbohydrates: 33 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g; Sugar: 8 g; Protein: 5 g
This analysis is an estimate based on available ingredients and this preparation. It should not substitute for a dietitian’s or nutritionist’s advice.