garlic steak & cheesy bacon potato hash foil packs are two favourites cooked in one pack! no pans to wash up afterwards!
Cheesy potato hash –> tender-juicy-charred steak –> grilled OR cooked however you like in garlic butter for the ULTIMATE flavour combination! And if that’s not enough, it all gets topped with bacon. CRISPY BACON. I’m so excited to share these extremely versatile Steak & Cheesy Bacon Potato Hash Foil Packs! The recipe caters for both medium and well-done steaks.
These packs can be cooked anywhere. Personally, I recommend grilling for the best results, but what if you don’t have a grill? Get your skillets out and cook them on your stove top in a really hot cast iron skillet, or your packets will simmer and boil on the inside. To get the steak to char on the inside, you can flip your packets half way through cooking time. They will char, as shown in the pictures or the video at the bottom of this post.
Good quality cuts of meat yield the best results that stay tender during cooking.
- Whole eye fillet
- Strip (or Porterhouse)
Cheaper cuts WILL produce a tough and chewy result. The steak should be at room temperature. Pat them dry with a paper towel to prevent the meat from releasing too much water and steaming in the packets while cooking. Yes, the meat does char through the foil when grilling! If using your oven, make sure you broil in the last 5 minutes of cooking for a charred result.
This method works better for well-done steaks. If you prefer medium-rare or medium, I don’t recommend this option.
GARLIC STEAK & CHEESY BACON POTATO HASH FOIL PACKS
Garlic Steak & Cheesy Bacon Potato Hash Foil Packs can be cooked on the grill, stove top OR oven! Two favourites cooked in ONE PACK means NO pans to wash up!
- 1/2 cup garlic butter divided
For The Potatoes:
- 26 ounces baby Yukon potatoes (or 750 grams), washed (peeled or unpeeled), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup diced bacon cooked
- 1/3 cup scallions (or green onions/shallots), sliced
For The Steak:
- 2 pounds whole eye fillet (or ribeye) steak (or 1 kg)*, AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. Pat dry with paper towel for best results.
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded**
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Make a batch of this Garlic Butter. Divide in half and melt in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Combine the potatoes and the onions in a bowl. Pour the melted garlic butter over the top; set aside.
- Spread the remaining non-melted butter over the steak to evenly coat.
FOR WELL DONE STEAKS:
- Slice your fillet into 2-inch thick slices (if the pieces are too small they will dry out). If you like your steak dry, cut them smaller.
FOR MEDIUM-RARE STEAKS:
- Cut your fillet into 4-inch long pieces (see above pictures or video for reference). The bigger you cut them, the more juicy the steak will be once its done. For rarer steaks, but them bigger (5 or 6 inch pieces).
- Tear four or six 15-inch (40cm) pieces of heavy duty foil and arrange on your kitchen counter or bench top. Divide steaks and potatoes among the top half of the foil sheets. Sprinkle with parsley, and season with salt and pepper
- Fold up the sides of the foil first over the steak and potatoes, then fold up the entire bottom half of the foil over the ingredients to join the ends. Fold down to seal, pressing the seal tightly to prevent any juices from spilling out.
- Place foil packets on the HOT grill, cover and cook for 7 minutes on one side. Flip and cook on the other side for a further 5 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through, (about 12 minutes all together). CAREFULLY open the foil packets (being careful of the escaping steam). Sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes, and loosely tent with the foil again to allow the cheese to melt through for a further 3 minutes while still on the grill.
- Top the potatoes with the cooked bacon, garnish with the scallions (or green onions), and season with a little extra salt and pepper, if needed.
*It’s very important you use a cut of steak that will stay tender during the cooking process. Eye fillet, ribeye, porterhouse, top sirloin, etc. **Substitute cheddar/mozzarella with Monterey Jack cheese if you prefer. For Stove Top:If you can, use a cast-iron skillet or a heavy-based pan. Preheat skillet over medium heat. When foil packs are ready, place them in the hot, preheated skillet to cook for 7 minutes, covered (you may need to do them in batches of two). Flip and cook for a further 7 minutes (covering again), until done. For Oven: Preheat oven to 220°C | 430°F. Prepare foil packs; place packs on a baking sheet/tray, and bake for 20-30 minutes in the HOT oven. Flip packs and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. OPTIONAL: open foil packs being careful of trapped steam, and broil for 3-4 minutes until charred. REMEMBER the result of meat depends on how large or small you cut your pieces!
Calories: 589kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 954mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 740IU | Vitamin C: 27.6mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 3.8mg