BAKED MAC AND CHEESE – A Recipe You Don’t Wanna Miss!
Ingredients for the recipe of Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- For 5 persons, one large lasagna dish:
- 500g of macaroni
- 350 grams of grated cheddar. If you can’t find some near you, you can
- substitute it with Cantal cheese, thanks for the advice, Phil! ?
- 100 grams of butter
- 40 cl unsweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 30 cl of milk
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 200 grams of breadcrumbs
Preparation of the homemade macaroni and cheese gratin
- cook the macaroni in salted water according to the instructions on the box and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- set them aside after draining them under cold water to stop cooking
- in a large frying pan, heat 50 grams of butter over medium heat
- when the butter starts to simmer, add the flour and stir continuously until the mixture darkens a little bit
- incorporates the condensed milk, always stirring
- add mustard and salt and continue stirring for about 5 minutes, the mixture should thicken and become creamy
- finally, add the milk and about 75% of the grated cheese and mix until the mixture is homogeneous.
- pour the macaroni into the gratin dish and pour the sauce on top, stir gently with a wooden spoon so that the sauce is evenly distributed (you can also add pan-fried bacon, mushrooms, or other things according to your taste).
- mix the breadcrumbs with the remaining 50 grams of butter (after melting it) and sprinkle the top of the gratin with the mixture and the rest of the grated cheddar.
- Place in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the surface is lightly browned.