This easy cucumber, onion, and tomato salad is perfect for a warm summer day.
There’s a lot to love about this top-rated cucumber tomato salad recipe. It’s inexpensive to make using everyday ingredients, it’s a crisp and refreshing side dish that goes with just about anything, and it has make-ahead convenience built right in. Let’s dive into this dish and see why Allrecipes home cooks award it a solid 5-stars.
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
This recipe for Marinated Cucumber, Onion, and Tomato Salad has most of the ingredients right there in the title. Cool, crisp cucumbers and juicy ripe tomatoes are teamed up with onions in a satisfying mix of flavor and texture. But what pulls this dish together is the tart and tangy salad dressing made of water, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
It takes only 15 minutes to prep the salad itself: Whisk the ingredients for the dressing, peel and slice the cucumbers, cut the tomatoes into wedges, slice the onion into rings, and place everything together in a bowl. After that, it goes into the refrigerator to marinate for at least two hours so the dressing can work its magic to enhance and balance all the flavors. That marination step means you can make this salad well ahead of time and stash it in the fridge until you’re ready to dish it up.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Step 1Whisk water, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl until smooth; add cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion and stir to coat.
- Step 2Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.