In this side dish, thinly sliced potatoes and onions are layered in an easy homemade cream sauce and baked until tender, golden, and bubbly. Potato perfection!
An Easy Classic
Of all the potato side dishes from Oven Roasted potatoes to Perfect Baked Potatoes, nothing says comfort food like the creamy side of scalloped potatoes (except maybe creamy buttery mashed potatoes).
So exactly what are Scalloped Potatoes? Thought to have originated in England, the word ‘scallop’ is basically a definition for how the potato is sliced. Thin and uniformly cut potatoes are layered in a casserole dish and then covered with a seasoned onion cream sauce and baked. The result is this savory scalloped potato recipe!
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Scalloped Potatoes are the perfect potato casserole! Tender potatoes in a creamy onion sauce baked to golden perfection.
- ▢¼ cup butter
- ▢1 large onion diced
- ▢2 cloves garlic minced
- ▢¼ cup flour
- ▢2 cups milk
- ▢1 cup chicken broth
- ▢½ teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon pepper
- ▢3 pounds white potatoes sliced about ⅛” thick
- ▢salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- To make the sauce, melt butter, onion, and garlic over medium-low heat. Cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Combine milk and broth. Add a small amount at a time whisking to thicken. The mixture will become very thick, continue adding a little bit of liquid at a time whisking until smooth.
- Once all of the liquid has been added, bring to a boil over medium heat while continuing to whisk. Stir in salt and pepper and let boil for 1 minute.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish. Place ⅓ of the potatoes in the bottom and season with salt and pepper. Pour ⅓ of the cream sauce over top.
- Repeat layers ending with cream sauce. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Broil for 3-4 minutes to obtain a golden top.
- Allow resting for 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 286 | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 484mg | Potassium: 1122mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 465IU | Vitamin C: 30.8mg | Calcium: 179mg | Iron: 7.7mg