I will often divide this into two smaller 8×8 casseroles. One to eat now and one to freeze for later. It is my go-to recipe to take to someone who has been sick, just had a baby, a death in the family, or when we have company over for a casual dinner.
- Cornbread (about 4 C. crumbled)
- 4 large chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (optional)
- 4 eggs, boiled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 2 T. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a 9 x 13, lightly greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until set.
1/2 C. unsalted butter
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1-quart chicken stock
1/3 C. heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT :
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and cook and stir until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 4-6 minutes.
Stir in heavy cream, and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Serve the casserole with gravy over the top and a big side of mashed potatoes.
Read Also: CHICKEN ALFREDO BAKED ZITI