- 7 small granny smith apples (about 2 1/4 lbs)
- 15 oz. caramels, such as Werther’s Chewy*
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Various toppings, optional (see notes(**)
- Rinse and thoroughly dry apples with a paper towel. Insert a caramel apple stick***. Having toppings ready if you’ll be adding some to apples.
- Line a 13 by 9-inch baking sheet or baking dish with a sheet of parchment paper, spray parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray, set in the fridge.
- Place caramels and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl (about 5 cup size bowl)****.
- Heat in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring well between intervals, until melted and smooth. This will take about 2 – 3 minutes. If caramel is extra runny let it cool just briefly so it doesn’t run right off the apples.
- Dip apples one at a time into caramel on an angle so it covers nearly to the top center. Rotate and turn to coat apple. Lift apple and let excess run off, then run bottom of apple along inside edge of bowl to remove excess caramel. Lift apple and turn apple upside down to let caramel run up the apple a little then immediately roll in toppings (or sprinkle with toppings) before caramel sets.
- Turn apples upright and place on prepared baking sheet in fridge, repeat process with remaining apples. As needed reheat caramel in microwave in 15 second increments for a runny, dip-able consistency.
- Allow caramel to set completely, about 30 minutes in the fridge (you can eat them before this but if you want caramel to firm back up the wait the 30 minutes). Cut apples into slices just when ready to enjoy so they don’t brown.
- Kraft caramels will work too Werther’s just taste better. I don’t recommend using Werther’s “Soft” caramels. I’ve tried and the caramel melts off of the apples even if you refrigerate right away.
- TOPPING IDEAS: I like to use crushed Oreos, chopped candy bars such as Butterfingers, chopped nuts such as peanuts or pecans, crushed graham crackers with ground cinnamon, mini M&M’s, sprinkles, shredded coconut, crushed pretzels, a little sprinkle of flakey sea salt, or marshmallow bits.
- It’s also delicious to dip in melted chocolate or white chocolate or drizzle chocolate over apples.
- Lollipop sticks or popsicle work great too.
- The caramel mixture can also be melted on the stove top in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly (if you’d prefer not to use the microwave or don’t own one).
- Nutrition estimate does not include toppings.