These fried apple pies are a McDonald’s copycat recipe that feature a homemade apple pie filling encased in pastry and deep fried to flaky perfection. The pies are finished off with a dusting of cinnamon sugar for a unique and delicious dessert option.
I grew up eating fried apple pie at McDonald’s, and I have to say, this homemade version is WAY better than the restaurant recipe! The addition of cinnamon sugar really takes these pies over the top.
Fried Apple Pies
These fried apple pies are a McDonald’s copycat recipe that feature a homemade apple pie filling encased in pastry and deep fried to flaky perfection.
- 17.3-ounce box puff pastry sheets thawed
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and diced
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- caramel sauce for serving optional
- oil for frying
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 pieces. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place the apples, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes or until apples are tender. Stir in the butter.
- Whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and add to the apple mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until apple filling has thickened.
- Spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture onto one side of each piece of puff pastry. Brush the edges with water and fold over to make a rectangle.
- Crimp the edges of each puff pastry rectangle with a fork.
- Chill the pies for 20 minutes in the freezer.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees F.
- Cook 2-3 pies at a time, for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and pastry is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over each pie as it comes out of the oil.
- Repeat the frying and cinnamon sugar sprinkling process with all of the remaining pies.
- Serve immediately, with caramel sauce if desired.
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1.8mg