- Enough peanut oil to wet the entire bottom of your pan
- 2 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 lb Idaho Russet or Red potatoes (I like Reds – but that is just a personal preference)
- Salted water
- ½ medium-sized sweet onion like Vidalia
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish with paprika and fresh basil
Place a heavy 9” cast-iron skillet over medium heat (just a little more than medium on my electric stove).
Pour oil into the skillet and add the butter as well. Allow this to heat until the oil is shimmery on the surface – not smoking – if it starts to smoke, pull it off the heat and let it cool some until it is shimmery again.
Cut up the potatoes into pieces that are the same size – chips or cubes – your choice.
As you cut, place into 4 cups of water that has 2 Tbs of salt mixed in.
Cut up onion into bigger chunks than you cut the potato.
After 5 minutes, drain the potato VERY WELL and dry with paper towels