Finally! This Grilled Cheese BLT means you’ll never have to choose between two delicious sandwiches for your lunch ever again. Have them both! Right now!
The grilled cheese and the BLT are two classic, beloved sandwiches on their own, so why not combine them into one even better sandwich? Enter the Grilled Cheese BLT—truly the best of both worlds. You get crunchy, buttery bread and melted cheese from one and smoky bacon, juicy tomatoes, and crisp lettuce from the other.
I’ve eaten many of these now, and can say with confidence that this hybrid is delicious!
The Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese
With my many years of grilled cheese-making experience, I’ve learned that using shredded cheese is the way to go because it melts easier than slices or any other cuts.
I like to use medium sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe so that it stands up to all of the other ingredients without overpowering them. But if you’re particularly beholden to American cheese for the gooeyness that only it can give, I certainly won’t judge.
What Kind of Bacon to Use
I give a range for the amount of bacon required because the size of a slice of bread isn’t standard, and you only need enough bacon for one layer so that you get some with each bite. The classic, standard cut of bacon (cooked so that it’s nice and crisp) is best, but you can use whatever kind you wish.
Only have thick-cut? Not a problem. Don’t eat pork? Use turkey bacon instead. Want to get weird? Even candied bacon could be used for an interesting variation. The bacon possibilities are endless!
What Kind of Lettuce to Use
With the lettuce, any variation on the crispy end of the spectrum will do, such as the butterhead the recipe calls for (which includes Boston and Bibb varieties) lettuce, but Romaine or iceberg would also work well.
Grilled Cheese BLT
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 slicing tomatoes (such as beefsteak, Brandywine, or Cherokee purple), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 to 12 slices of cooked bacon
- 12 leaves butterhead or other crispy lettuce
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Melt the cheese: For each sandwich, spread 1 tablespoon of butter on one side of two pieces of bread. Place the bread buttered-side down in a large skillet or on a griddle over medium-low heat. Sprinkle 2 ounces (1/2 cup) shredded cheese evenly over both slices. Cook until the cheese has melted and the bread is crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich: Remove from the skillet. Layer one side with 2 to 3 pieces of bacon, the slices from half a tomato seasoned with some salt and pepper, and 3 leaves of lettuce. Close the sandwich. Repeat for remaining sandwiches. Slice in half and eat warm.