Creamy homemade mashed potatoes top a moist and flavorful meatloaf in this decadent take on shepherd’s pie. Bacon and cheddar make it even better! Yes, this Loaded Potato and Meatloaf Casserole will make your weeknight meal a breeze!
A QUICK MEAT-AND-POTATOES DINNER WITH TONS OF FLAVOR!
Question: What do you get when you combine a hearty, barbecue-sauced meatloaf with buttery, loaded mashed potatoes?
Answer: Just about the perfect family dinner! This cheesy, bacon-topped casserole has all of the above. And it’s so easy to make, you won’t mind at all when your family asks for it again and again! A close cousin of shepherd’s pie, this easy casserole takes meat and potatoes to savory new heights. Yum!
So the next time you’re in need of a super-simple, yet fun dinner option that doesn’t take a lot of prep (and who doesn’t need one of those, approximately five nights per week!) reach for this recipe. Everyone will devour the tender, moist meatloaf with its topping of homemade mashed potatoes, melting cheese, and crispy bacon.
If you love this comfort food style casserole, make sure to also check out my families favorite Loaded Mashed Potato and Meatball Casserole.
LOADED POTATO AND MEATLOAF CASSEROLE
Creamy homemade mashed potatoes top a moist and flavorful meatloaf in this easy casserole dinner. Bacon and cheddar make it even better! Yes, this Loaded Potato and Meatloaf Casserole checks all the boxes, and then some!
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup warm milk (or half and half)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices thick bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the hamburger, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, cottage cheese, and BBQ sauce.
- Add the meatloaf into the pan, and spread it into an even layer. Place in the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is cooking, add the potatoes to a pan and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, and add the butter. Beat with a hand mixer to combine. Add the sour cream, warm milk, salt, and pepper, and mix again to combine.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, and pour off any excess grease.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the meatloaf, then add the cheddar cheese and bacon bits.
- Return the meatloaf into the oven for an additional 15 minutes, until the potatoes are hot and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and serve the meatloaf with your favorite sides.
- Fridge: Cover the casserole well, or place leftovers in airtight containers or bags, and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Wrap casserole well or place in airtight containers. Freeze for up to three months. Thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Place leftovers in an ovenproof dish at 375°F until heated through. Test several places in the casserole using an Instant Read thermometer, to make sure it is fully reheated.