I prepare this refreshing shrimp cocktail for my family a lot during the hot summer days. Being a Mexican family, we always add Mexican hot sauce (such as Valentina® or Tapatio®) and serve with saltine crackers on the side. The trick is to start with a well-chilled shrimp, ketchup, and tomato juice cocktail so it can be ready after only chilling for 1 hour in the fridge. Top with additional hot sauce and avocado slices if desired. Enjoy!
- ⅓ cup Spanish onion, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 pound chilled cooked medium shrimp – peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chilled tomato and clam juice cocktail (such as Clamato®)
- 1 cup chilled ketchup (such as Heinz®)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro – stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Valentina®)
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted, and chopped
- Step 1Mix onion with lime juice in a small bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, roma tomatoes, cucumber, celery, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Step 2Whisk tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, cilantro, and hot pepper sauce in a separate bowl; stir dressing into shrimp mixture. Gently fold in avocados. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.