Woman’s Weekly’s Cookery Editor, Sue McMahon, shows us how to make her luxury fish pie recipe in this simple step-by-step video recipe. This fish pie serves 4-6 people and will take 50 mins to make. This delicious fish pie has a crisp, pastry top which makes it different to a traditional fish pie which is topped with mashed potato. The luxurious, rich and creamy sauce really adds a depth of flavour to your pie-making it extra special. Serve this golden wonder at dinner parties or as a special treat instead of your Sunday roast.
- 600ml (1pint) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- Approximately 1kg (2lb) of fish, like salmon, cod, and large raw tiger prawns
- 3 medium eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and quartered
- 50g (13/4oz) butter
- 50g (13/4oz) plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 level tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Beaten egg, for glaze
The Best Chicken Pot Pie Ever
- Set the oven to hot 220°C or gas mark 7.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan or saute pan.
- Add the fish to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and remove it from the heat and leave it for about 5 mins for the fish to cook.
- Drain the fish, reserving the liquor, break it into large pieces, and place it in the base of a pie dish along with the quartered hard-boiled eggs.
- Melt the butter and add the plain flour and cook it over medium heat for 1-2 mins to cook the flour then gradually beat in the cooking liquor to give a smooth sauce.
- Season the sauce to taste and stir in the dill. Pour the sauce over the fish and leave it to cool slightly.
- Trim off the edges of the pastry. Dampen the rim of the pie dish with water and stick the trimmings around the edge of the dish. Use a small sharp-bladed knife to score the pastry. Dampen the rim of the pastry with water and lift the large piece over the top. Press the pastry down well around the rim of the dish to seal it and ‘knock back’ the edges.
- Make one or 2 holes in the top of the pastry and then brush over the egg glaze. Place the pie on a baking tray and bake in the center of the oven for 25-35 mins, or until the pastry has risen and is a golden color and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve the pie immediately with salad, or carrots and green beans.
4 thoughts on “Puff pastry fish pie recipe”
It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!|
Hi, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to get newest updates, therefore where can i do it please assist.|