- FOR THE APPLES3/4 c.
- lightly packed brown sugar1/4 c.
- butter1 tsp.
- pure vanilla extract1/2 tsp.
- ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt2
- apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/2″ thick THE CAKE
- Cooking spray1 3/4 c.
- all-purpose flour3/4 tsp.
- baking powder2 tsp.
- ground cinnamon1 tsp.
- kosher salt1/4 tsp.
- ground nutmeg1/2 c.
- (1 stick) butter, softened1 c.
- sugar1/2 c.
- lightly packed brown sugar2
- large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs1 tsp.
- pure vanilla extract3/4 c.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9” round cake pan with cooking spray. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt brown sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Cook until slightly thickened, 2 minutes.
- Pour caramel sauce into the prepared pan and layer apples on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugars until softened. Add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Add half the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Pour in milk and mix until fully incorporated. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter over apples and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.