- 4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups canola oil for frying
It, you may like it: Cheese Steak Quesadillas
- Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco Sauce, and garlic.
- Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour.
- Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.
- Heat the oil in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain.
- Serve with gravy of your choice.