1 cup (130g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (207g) sugar
6 tbsp (43g) unsweetened cocoa powder*
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup (120ml) hot water*
1 1/4 cups (280g) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
3 tbsp (22g) Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
5 cups (575g) powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
4–5 tbsp (60-75ml) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F (148°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla in another medium sized bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add the water to the batter and mix until well combined. Batter will be thin.
- Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter in a large mixer bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Add about half of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency of frosting.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.