This pie has been a favorite dessert for decades. I even made several of these pies to serve a threshing crew of 21 men!
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Unroll crust into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack or until edge is golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer or. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten eggs. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir about 2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and vanilla.
- Pour into crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill for several hours before serving.