This easy recipe makes the softest, fluffiest bread rolls and requires only a handful of ingredients. Perfect for hamburgers, sandwiches or served with soup. This dough recipe also makes the best homemade dinner rolls.
Easy soft and fluffy bread rolls
This easy recipe makes the softest, fluffiest bread rolls and requires only a handful of ingredients. Perfect for burgers, sandwiches or served with soup.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 10 g (2tsp) instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3-4 cups flour (any white flour can be used: Cake, all purpose or bread)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter softened
For the egg wash
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp melted butter for finishing
- Whisk milk, sugar and yeast together. Allow to stand for 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine the flour and salt.
- With the mixer running, add the milk mixture and allow to knead in. Add the egg and allow to beat in.
- Add the butter, allow to knead in. At this point the dough will be quite sticky, add the remaining cup of flour one tablespoon at a time, until the dough is soft, smooth and just slightly sticky.
- Cover with plastic or a damp dish towel and allow to rise for 1 hour. While the dough is rising, prepare two sheet pans by lining them with parchment or baking paper.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball then place on the prepared sheet pans. Take care not to place them too close together as they will continue rising.
- Cover again and allow to rise for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Whisk the egg and water together for the egg wash.
- Brush the dough balls with egg wash then place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and risen. Once baked the bread rolls will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove, brush with a little butter and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 447mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg