Southern Skillet Fried Potatoes and Onions
Southern Skillet Fried Potatoes and Onions is an easy one-skillet side dish. Potatoes, onions, and oil are the only ingredients needed for this simple dish. Just a few ingredients that yield a huge taste!
When you are looking for something simple as a side dish, potatoes and onions always seem to work for me. This is a one-skillet dish for tender golden brown and flavorful potatoes. This is not your plain ole potato side dish. Not at all! These potatoes are kicked up a notch and are wonderful.
- 2 pounds Russet Potatoes Peeled and diced into 1″ cubes
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Peel and dice potatoes into 1″ cubes.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Using a 10-inch skillet, add enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat oil over medium heat.
- Drop-in potatoes, drop-in onions—season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes without stirring.
- Uncover. Stir and flip potatoes. Continue to cook uncovered for about 10-15 more minutes or until you reach desired tenderness, and the potatoes are browned.
Tip** Do not over stir the potatoes. Stir potatoes and then leave alone for about 4-5 minutes. Stir again. This allows the potatoes time to fry and brown in the oil.