In this reinvented twist on a classic reuben sandwich, turkey pairs up with melted cheese and rye bread, with a mustard-laced take on coleslaw supplanting sauerkraut.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup, softened butter
- 1 (10 oz) package angel hair coleslaw mix
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon optional sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- thousand island dressing
- 3/4 lb thinly sliced deli turkey
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the coleslaw, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Cook until the coleslaw is wilted, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
Spread each slice of the marble rye with Thousand Island dressing. Layer the turkey evenly over half of the bread slices; top each with 1 slice Swiss cheese. Spoon the coleslaw mixture evenly over the cheese. Cover with the remaining bread slices, dressing-side down. Spread softened butter over the bottom and top slices of each sandwich. Grill the sandwiches until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve immediately.