One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe – tender chunks of chicken, homemade Mexican rice, and seasoned black beans loaded with your favorite burrito bowl toppings.
ONE-POT CHICKEN BURRITO BOWL
Initially, I was working on developing a one-pan Mexican casserole with rice. When I mentioned my idea to my husband, he said, “Sounds great, like everything you would put in a chicken burrito.” So I thought that was a much better name and described the dish even better! We served ours in bowls, but this dish would be amazing wrapped in a tortilla. A quick way to make homemade chicken burritos.
One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe – tender chunks of chicken, homemade mexican rice, and seasoned black beans loaded with your favorite burrito bowl toppings
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 373 kcal
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup extra-long grain rice uncooked
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup colby jack cheese monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes
- diced green onions
- sour cream
- Start by sautéing onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until they start to soften.
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
- Move chicken to one side of pan. On the other side of the pan, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes, or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- Stir in drained black beans, drained canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 minutes off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
Try sautéing diced bell peppers or jalapeños along with onions.
Mix in frozen corn in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Substitute ground beef or ground turkey for chicken.
Skip the cheese for a lighter version.