- 15.25 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 12 ounces orange soda
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 24 ounces whipped white frosting (two 12-ounce containers)
- 2 to 3 drops orange gel food color
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment circles, and lightly spray with baking spray (Baker’s Joy or a generic version). Set them aside.
- Add the cake mix to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Pour the orange soda over the cake mix.
- Add the orange extract.
- Use a handheld mixer on medium-low speed and mix for 1 to 1½ minutes until completely combined and smooth.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between the 2 prepared cake pans. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes away clean. Allow the cakes to completely cool.
- Once the cakes have cooled, place half of 1 of the containers of whipped frosting into a small mixing bowl. Add 2 to 3 drops of the orange gel food color. Stir well until the color is uniform. Set it aside.
- Remove 1 of the cakes from the cake pan and place on a serving dish.
- Spoon the remaining ½ of the opened frosting container onto the cake. Using a silicone spatula or an offset spatula, spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
- Carefully place the second cake layer on top of the bottom layer.
- Using the silicone spatula or the offset spatula, evenly spread the second container of whipped frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Using a decorator’s bag fitted with a star-shaped decorator’s tip, or a quart-size Ziploc with a small corner of the bag snipped off, hold the bag ½ inch above the surface of the outer edge of the cake. Using even pressure squeeze the bag in a circle to form a small rose shape. Repeat the pattern around the cake.
- This recipe will also work for other shapes of cakes such as bundt cakes and rectangular cakes or even with cupcakes. You’ll just have to adjust the cooking time based on the directions on the box.
- These pre-cut parchment paper rounds are great to have on hand to make lining the round pans easier.
- You are only using the dry cake mix and not using the additional ingredients called for on the box.
Sodium: 305mg | Calcium: 81mg | Sugar: 37g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 32mg | Calories: 267kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Fat: 6g | Protein: 1g | Carbohydrates: 52g | Iron: 1mg