Classic fresh strawberry pie… if you’ve never had it, you absolutely MUST try it! This copycat version tastes JUST like the Frisch’s Big Boy or Shoneys treat, and is made super easy. Just 6 common ingredients and an easy pre-made frozen pie crust… you can totally do this!
This pie… oh THIS pie. You guys, I’m so excited to share this pie with you all today!! Here in Cincinnati, Spring means two things… Reds baseball, and Frisch’s Big Boy will be serving strawberry pie soon. I literally wait all year for this pie to be available at Frisch’s… it’s a perfect use for the sweet seasonal berries!
But now I don’t have to wait, I can have this pie any time I want… and so can YOU!
I have to tell you guys an ironic story about the making of that pie you see there. The whole vision behind sharing this recipe is that it’s a super EASY recipe… anyone can make this! The first couple times I tried to make it, every frozen pie shell was cracked! Straight from the grocery store that way. I tried to let the shell thaw a bit and sort of mush it back together, but it was a big fat fail lol. So third times the charm, and even though this one was cracked too, I found that letting the crust thaw almost all the way, getting your fingertips slightly wet with water, then pushing the crust together to seal the crack, then putting the crust back into the freezer again until frozen… works really well (just in case you ever have that situation happen at your house!). So yeah, even when I do this for a living, and I’m supposed to be all “chef-like”… I totally have cooking fails too!!
Big Boy Fresh Strawberry Pie
This strawberry pie tastes JUST like the classic pie from Frisch’s Big Boy/Shoneys! It uses 6 simple ingredients, and a pre-made pie crust to make it easy!
- ▢1 frozen pie crust (deep dish if you can find it)
- ▢1 1/4 cups water
- ▢1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- ▢3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ▢3 Tbsp dry strawberry gelatin (like Jello – about 1/2 a 3 oz box)
- ▢2 cups sliced strawberries (sliced in half or quarters, depending on size of berries)
- ▢whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
Big Boy’s Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Prick bottom and sides of frozen pie crust with fork, and bake according to package directions. If you’re worried about the crust puffing up, before baking, place a piece of parchment paper inside the crust and add about a cup of dried beans or rice. Let cool.
- To a small sauce pan, add water, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Heat over MED heat until boiling, reduce heat a bit and simmer several minutes, until thickened.
- Whisk in dry strawberry gelatin and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Wash and slice strawberries, then add to cooled pie crust. Pour strawberry gelatin mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, until set.
- Serve cold, with whipped cream if desired.
Prep and cook time does not include pie baking time, as different manufacturers call for different baking times.
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.