Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of the time of publication.
- 1 can (28 ounces) of whole plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small head of cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
MINI STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKES
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; coarsely chop tomatoes. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles. Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings, chopped tomatoes and reserved liquid.
- Add cabbage and pepper; cook, covered, 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Serve with rice.
1-1/3 cups with 2/3 cup rice: 332 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 9g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.