- 2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 3 (8 ounces) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 ½ cups lemon curd
Read Also Pasta Shells with Ground Beef
- Step 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Step 2Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter together in a bowl until evenly combined; press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Step 3Beat cream cheese, sour cream, and 1 cup of sugar together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon zest into the cream cheese mixture, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Spread mixture over cookie crust in the springform pan.
- Step 4Bake in the preheated oven until almost set in the center, about 1 hour. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until completely cooled, at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Step 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 6Beat egg whites in a bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form; add 1/4 cup sugar and cream of tartar and beat until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Step 7Spread lemon curd over cheesecake. Mound whipped egg whites over the curd, sealing around all the edges.
- Step 8Bake in the preheated oven until the meringue is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Chill uncovered in the refrigerator, for about 1 hour.
This can be made the day before and kept in the fridge. In fact, I think it tastes even better the day after like most cheesecakes. Make sure not to cover it or your meringue may collapse.
You can also make 2 of these in one shot and freeze one without the meringue for later use. I make my own lemon curd using the leftover egg yolks from the meringue.
Per Serving: 483 calories; protein 7.5g; carbohydrates 51.6g; fat 28.5g; cholesterol 130.3mg; sodium 305.3mg.