A delicious twist on a classic pineapple upside-down cake, this Strawberry Upside Down Cake is perfect for summer. With the bright strawberry topping baked right in, this cake is easy to make and beautiful too!
For the Topping
- 2 tbsp (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (104g) sugar
- 3 cups (390g) sliced strawberries
For the Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (163g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp (84g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (155g) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (150ml) milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Combine the melted butter and sugar and spread evenly in the bottom of a 9×2 inch cake pan.
- Arrange the strawberry slices over the sugar, using the photos above for visual reference. Arrange some first around the outer edge of the pan and then fill in the center.
- To make the cake batter, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter, oil, sugars and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
- Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined. The batter may look a little curdled, but that’s ok.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Add the butter to the prepared cake pan and spread evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes, covering with foil about 35 minutes in if needed to prevent the top from over-browning. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and press the cake down gently to help flatten any dome. I placed a dishcloth on top of the cake to help press on the hot cake.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Allow the cake to cool a bit before serving. It’s best served warm, but if you allow it to cool completely to room temperature, you can heat individual slices for 10-15 seconds to warm them back up a bit.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 28 g
- Sodium: 80.7 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.7 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 61.9 mg
2 thoughts on “Strawberry Upside Down Cake”
Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very great post.