Oven-baked Chicken Parmesan is simple to make and worth every minute! If you love a crispy crumb coating vs a soggy crumb, look no further! The best you will ever make!
the best chicken parmesan
Chicken Parmesan (also called Chicken Parmigiana) is one of the most loved, most popular, AND most ordered chicken recipes in the world. BUT oftentimes, the chicken comes out too dry or doesn’t have enough flavor or seasoning. The sauce is bland, or cheddar cheese is used instead of mozzarella, etc.
This chicken parmesan has been said to be the best by many of our readers over the years.
how to make homemade chicken parmesan
Compared to all of the chicken recipes on this blog, this one may have more steps BUT they are all worth it:
Each step guarantees to give you the best possible outcome and one chicken dinner you will never forget.
For The Chicken:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Italian or golden)
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
For The Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 14 ounces (400 g) tomato puree (Passata)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For The Topping:
- 8 ounces (250 g) mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or parsley
For The Chicken:
- Preheat oven 430°F | 220°C. Lightly grease an oven tray (or baking dish) with nonstick cooking oil spray; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken into the egg, rotating to evenly coat each fillet in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or overnight night if time allows for a deeper flavor).
- When chicken is ready for cooking, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder together in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Fry chicken until golden and crispy, (about 4-5 minutes on each side).
- Place chicken on a prepared baking tray/dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup of sauce (sauce recipe below). Top each chicken breast with 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese and about 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with basil or parsley.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted, and the chicken is completely cooked through.
For The Sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs, and sugar (If using). Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
For this recipe, we use both chicken thighs and breasts. Serve with pasta, mashed potato, a salad, steamed veggies, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice for the perfect meal!
Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 665mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 12.6mg | Calcium: 423mg | Iron: 3.2mg
1 thought on “The BEST Chicken Parmesan”