Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect cozy soup and such a good way to use up all those veggies stocked in the fridge!
It’s perfectly hearty and filling thanks to the tender chunks of protein-rich beef and abundance of nutritious vegetables. Plus it’s a versatile recipe so feel free to replace veggies with others you may have on hand.
Vegetable Beef Soup
After simmering for an hour on the stovetop this soup has such a deliciously rich flavor and the beef is so deliciously tender. This is a perfect comforting fall and winter soup but when you’ve got lots of vegetables to use up in the summer this is the recipe to make!
Want to see how easy this Vegetable Soup Recipe is?
Note that the soup will be a little brother than what’s pictured, I like to remove some of the broth so you can see the ingredients in the soup. But with that said you can use less broth if desired or even simmer the soup uncovered during cooking (just go easy on the salt).
Vegetable Beef Soup
Soup isn’t just for the chilly days. This soup is the perfect way to use up all those summer veggies and those tender chunks of beef add such a delicious flavor. A hearty soup that’s sure to satisfy, and you’ll love the leftovers!
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil**
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups (5 oz.) chopped green beans (trim ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn***
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dab beef dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper then add half of the beef to pot and brown for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Transfer to a plate adds another 1/2 Tbsp oil to the pot and repeat the process with remaining half of beef.
- Add another 1 Tbsp oil to now-empty pot then add onions, carrots, and celery then saute 3 minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout, for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes then continue to simmer, covered, 20 minutes (you can also add green beans with potatoes if you like them very soft).
- Stir in green beans and simmer 15 minutes longer, or until all of the veggies and beef are tender.
- Pour in corn and peas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
*Look for a fatty marbled batch of stew meat, it will be more tender. Dice any larger chunks bite size as needed.**1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning can be used in place of basil, oregano and thyme.***Fresh corn/peas can be used here as well, just add when adding green beans