- ▢5 bone-in chicken thigh fillets, peel skin OFF, (Note 1)
- ▢1 onion, chopped (brown, white, or yellow)
- ▢2 cloves garlic (large), minced
- ▢2 tbsp (30g) butter (or olive oil)
- ▢1 1/2 cups (270g) uncooked white rice (Note 3)
- ▢1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chicken broth/stock, hot (I microwave)
- ▢1 1/4 cups (315 ml) water, hot (tap is fine)
CHICKEN RUB (NOTE 2):
- ▢1 tsp paprika powder
- ▢1 tsp dried thyme
- ▢1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ▢1/2 tsp onion powder
- ▢3/4 tsp salt
- ▢Black pepper
- ▢Oil spray
- ▢Fresh thyme leaves or finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15″ / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the center. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix.
- Place chicken on rice. Then pour chicken broth and water around the chicken.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, spray chicken with oil (optional, gives the chicken a nicer finish), then bake for a further 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Stand for 5 minutes, then remove the chicken and fluff up the rice. Garnish with parsley or thyme if desired, serve and enjoy!
1 thought on “OVEN BAKED CHICKEN AND RICE”